#2
Hello again. Today I’d like to talk about an artist from my very own country. This whole post started with a DM on Twitter just asking for feedback on music from an artist called Inkfields and I originally though ‘oh ok I’ll maybe listen to that and message back with my thoughts’. As it turned out I sat and listened to the entirety of Inkfields debut album, Beneath the Waves, and it really had me hooked. So I decided to review it in full here on RecordSoup.
Before I start here is a little background information on Inkfields.
Samuel James-Griffiths known as Inkfields, is an Edinburgh-based indie/rock artist whose musical style is inspired by Ska and Funk music. In the past he has mentioned that his music concerns themes of nature, love of the sea and a desire to protect the nature we have on earth. Inkfields has played a number of street shows, small festivals and ‘living room style concerts’ which has gathered him a small but dedicated following.
‘Beneath the Waves’ is the debut album from Inkfields released on 12/01/18 (I am a little late to the party I know but it’s really good so hear me out)
This catchy, riff-filled album opens with an alluring instrumental track called ‘The Last Ebb’ (possibly linking to Griffiths’ love of the ocean) which I immediately felt would make a great opening track for some sort of fictional/mystical/medieval drama reminiscent of Game of Thrones or Merlin. I’m not entirely sure what instrument makes up the main melody but it is incredibly effective when tied into the clever use of percussion which steadily builds throughout the track. Although short, the track really works as an introduction of what is to come and it’s twinkling ending cuts of quickly as the second track is introduced.
Inkfields second track ‘Who is the Fire?’ Is very different from the opening track but in no way is this a bad thing. What was interesting about this track for me was that the introductory guitar riff immediately reminded me of ‘The Ghost of You’ by My Chemical Romance! However vague this comparison may be the song goes on to build with enchanting vocals layered with percussion which gave this track a lovely depth. If you listen to this track hopefully you will also here the MCResque guitar riff which helps make up the latter half of the song as it really works and helped to make this song one of my favourites from this album.
The lead single from this album ‘Snare Yourself’ is all sorts or wonderful and definitely my favourite from this album. This song will have you instantly hooked with its funky opening riff very very reminiscent of Coldplay. From there it only gets better with vocals which reminded me slightly of Two Door Cinema Club’s ‘Undercover Martyn’. The synths on this track tie it together nicely and give the track potential to have someone give it a bitchin’ remix. I also think this would be a total crowd pleaser track at any small festival like Belladrum or Electric Fields as it is by far the punchiest track in the album and has vocals easy for a crowd to shout back.
The next track I think would be a perfect start to a festival set as it’s got enough punch to get the crowd hooked and doesn’t quite outdo some of the other gems on this album. This. Song. Is. Catchy! It opens with another dazzling guitar riff which peaked my interest and felt somewhat similar to a ‘Fickle Friends’ track if not better. The quiet bridge in this song is very
effective especially when coupled with yet another haunting guitar riff and building precussion. Most of the percussion on this album is commendable as it is fairly simple but works so well. This track is really tied together with lovely use of strings at the end. In addition to the track this song also has a music video which I will link below.
Nights like These | Music Video
I’d like to talk about the next two tracks ‘Gate in the Blue’ and ‘Made in China’ together as they are both very similar in style. Both the tracks start with similar twinkling chimes/synths which make the songs eerie and beautiful. While listening to the album I began to notice that chimes seemed to link the whole album together. Both these two songs feature a female voice which add effective harmonies in both cases- this caught me off guard slightly but it varies the album nicely halfway through. I can really imagine ‘Made in China’ performed at a small informal festival as it is a total ballad which would have the crowd swaying their arms.
Next up is an angsty track called ‘Roll of the Dice’ and I have no idea if any of you will have heard of a German band called ‘Revolverheld’? But I found this track reminded me vocally of them. This track has a strong riff which should pull any Twin Atlantic or Muse fan in. Again I am living for these drums!! In short this song sounds like a lovechild of Twin Atlantic and Muse. Love it.
The next track ‘Garden of Delusion’ obviously has Coldplay influences as its intro sounds like a magical combination of an electric guitar riff from an early Coldplay album and the acoustic of MCR’s ‘The Light Behind Your Eyes’. This is a really beautiful song and has powerful lyrics which have serious political presence. This track brings a new tone to the album which I feel makes the overall messsge of the record more important.
The album then picks up again with a chunky guitar riff in the form of ‘Black Sails’. This track is bouncy and bound to draw a crowd. It has a killer chorus which I personally really enjoyed but some may not be too keen on. Towards the latter half of the song the guitar drifts towards an almost Mediterranean sounding vibe which is welcome change before picking back up and ending sharply. Whoever played bass on this track also has some serious skill.
Luring you in with an upbeat and fast paced guitar is ‘Dream Catcher’. This is motivational track and should definitely be played for a lively crowd. Upon first hearing this song you would think that this song would launch into a folk-y ‘Mumford and Sons’ melody but it turns the opposite direction, culminating in a chunky indie-rock sound with moody guitar, powerful lyrics and an almost spooky spoken word bridge. The song then launches into an outro with a punchy drumbeat and lyrics way for a crowd to sing. Well worth a listen this one!
The penultimate track on the album is a quieter more melancholy track called ‘Running to the Fight’. Think ‘London Grammar’ and ‘Daughter’-esque guitar sounds and hazey vocals. The slow drums on this track are brillant when mixed with another gorgeous riff in the last 30 seconds of the track. At the very end of the track once all vocals and guitars are faded out there are some interesting sounds which I though sounded like gates closing or electronic doors that link straight into the final track’s intro.
The final track on this album starts off like any other but then surprises you by turning into a full-on waltz with matching accordion! At first I hated it but upon second listen I noticed it really sounds like a track that could be from Panic! At The Disco’s ‘Pretty Odd’. It is actually a really fun song and a lovely way to end the album. The strings at the end of this track help carry it to it’s finish with eerie fade out ending which features a woman’s echoing laugh. Different but good!
This album is well worth a listen and a must for those interested in indie-rock or Scottish artists. I myself would rate this album a 7/10 as it’s riffs are to die for and it’s definitely a crowd pleaser! However this album is one to sprinkle in a playlist and not to listen to on repeat as many of the songs mirror each other which can make differentiating between tracks difficult. Inkfields has done a great job with his debut and as a result this could make that ‘tricky second album’ even trickier! I’ll link to the album below so you can check out his stuff.
Inkfields-
Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Spotify
(I’ve just checked Inkfields Spotify and he actually released a brand new EP just as I was writing this! Go check that out too)
New EP | Inkfields
Thanks for reading all of this long-ass review! Remember all opinions are mine and not meant to be offensive to anyone! Let me know what you think of this album!
Eva
Comments
Post a Comment